California SB 246 - Integrated Climate Adaptation and Resiliency Program
SB 246 established an Integrated Climate Adaptation and Resiliency Program for California as of January 1, 2017. The program will coordinate regional and local efforts with state climate adaptation strategies to adapt to the impacts of climate change. There is to be an emphasis on climate equity considerations across sectors and regions and strategies that benefit both greenhouse gas emissions reductions and adaptation efforts, in order to facilitate the development of holistic, complementary strategies for adapting to climate change impacts. The program will be administered by the Office of Planning and Research (OPR).
The program will be supporting local and regional decision-makers on climate adaptation and resilience planning by:
- Developing tools and guidance.
- Promoting and coordinating state agency support for local and regional efforts.
- Informing state-led programs, including state planning processes, grant programs, and guideline development, to better reflect the goals, efforts, and challenges faced by local and regional entities pursuing adaptation, preparedness, and resilience.
These local and regional level efforts will be implemented through regular coordination between the OPR, the California Climate Action Team which was established by Executive Order S-3-05, the Strategic Growth Council, and other state agencies, including, but not limited to, the Office of Emergency Services, the California Environmental Protection Agency, the Natural Resources Agency, the Transportation Agency, the State Department of Public Health, and the Department of Food and Agriculture.
SB 246 establishes an advisory council, made up of members with expertise in a variety of sectors, to support the goals of the OPR.
The bill also requires the Office of Emergency Services, in coordination with the Natural Resources Agency and OPR, to update the state’s Adaptation Planning Guide, to provide tools and guidance to local governments in implementing climate adaptation and climate resiliency projects.
The Adaptation Planning Guide update is to consider the nexus between climate adaptation, community resiliency, public safety, and security, provide information and planning support for assessing climate vulnerabilities across impact sectors and regions and developing adaptation strategies that can be tailored to meet local needs, and include, at a minimum, all of the following:
- Guidance for coordinating adaptation planning activities among state and local governments and regional collaboratives.
- Adaptation planning guidance and strategies for natural hazards exacerbated by climate change.
- Guidance for conducting vulnerability assessments and identifying risk reduction strategies for communities.
- Identification of climate impact regions and descriptions of climate impacts to be considered for each region.
- Assistance with the interpretation of climate science as it relates to local and regional impacts.
In addition, SB 246 requires OPR to establish and maintain an information clearinghouse on adaptation that includes the most current science, projections, models, assessments, white papers, case studies, tools that integrate best-available data on vulnerable populations and infrastructure, best practices, and funding information.
Publication Date: October 8, 2015
- State of California
- California State Adaptation Clearinghouse - ResilientCA.org
- California Climate Adaptation Planning Guide