Colorado Water Conservation Board (CWCB)
The Colorado Water Conservation Board (CWCB) was created more than 75 years ago to provide policy direction on water issues. The agency maintains expertise in a broad range of programs and provides technical assistance to further the utilization of Colorado's waters. The CWCB's responsibilities range from protecting Colorado's streams and lakes to water conservation, flood mitigation, watershed protection, stream restoration, drought planning, water supply planning, and water project financing. The CWCB also works to protect the state's water apportions in collaboration with other western states and federal agencies.
The CWCB helps water managers prepare for climate change by supporting planning efforts on a local, regional and statewide basis. CWCB's adaptation projects include:
- the Colorado River Water Availability Study,
- the Joint Front Range Climate Change Vulnerability Study,
- drought planning,
- the Colorado Drought Mitigation and Response Plan, and
- the Colorado Climate Action Plan.
The CWCB’s Drought Planning Toolbox is designed to assist water users throughout the state with their efforts in planning and response to a drought. Explore the toolbox to find drought information and data, as well as a comprehensive suite of planning resources, financial assistance and tools.
As related to watershed restoration, CWCB partners with numerous organizations to plan and undertake multi-objective projects designed to reduce flood hazards, stabilize and restore stream channels, provide habitat, reduce erosion and increase the capacity to utilize water. Inter- and intra-agency coordination, communication and prioritization are essential components of the CWCB’s efforts.
The CWCB provides grants and technical assistance for climate adaptation and resiliency projects. Some of the many related funding opportunities include:
Colorado Watershed Restoration Grants: Provides grants for watershed/stream restoration and flood mitigation projects throughout the state.
Agricultural Emergency Drought Response Program: Provides loans or grants for emergency drought-related water augmentation purposes to Colorado’s agricultural water users.
Water Supply Reserve Account Grants: Provides grants and loans to assist Colorado water users in addressing their critical water supply issues and interests.
Colorado Healthy Rivers Fund Grants: Helps support local watershed organizations in their efforts to provide clean water, protect habitat and improve recreation and accessibility.
Phone: (303) 866-3441
- Climate Change in Colorado: A Synthesis to Support Water Resources Management and Adaptation (2014)
- Colorado Future Avoided Cost Explorer (FACE:Hazards) Tool
- Colorado Water Plan
- Ripple Effects: Colorado Water Plan in Action 2017
- Colorado Water Conservation Board Drought Planning Toolbox
- Colorado Drought Mitigation and Response Plan - 2013
- Climate Change in Colorado: A Synthesis to Support Water Resources Management and Adaptation (2008)