Environmental Advocates of New York
Environmental Advocates of New York is an environmental government watchdog based in Albany. Its mission is to protect the air, land, water, wildlife, and health of all New Yorkers. The group monitors state government, evaluating proposed laws and championing policies and practices that will ensure responsible stewardship of the environment.
Within its 2017 Policy Agenda, Environmental Advocates of New York calls upon the state to:
- Become a global climate, renewable energy, and environmental justice leader
- Establish a Constitutional right to healthy air, clean water, and a safe climate
- Invest and build upon budgetary programs that protect public health and the environment
- Follow through on Governor Cuomo’s promise to make New York a “refuge” by setting nation-leading clean air and water protections
- Clean up the waste stream and reduce harmful pollutants which compromise water, air, streets, and public health
Within its climate action plan, Environmental Advocates of New York seek to:
- Pass legally-binding climate and clean energy goals and require all state agencies and local governments to screen every decision against climate, social justice, and workforce development “tests”
- Lead and expand the Regional Greenhouse Gas Initiative and prioritize auction revenues for frontline, environmental justice, and disadvantaged communities
- Develop new and expand existing policies to elevate energy efficiency, electric vehicles, energy storage, electric grid modernization, geothermal, and offshore wind, in order to protect public health, invest in local economies, and create jobs
Environmental Advocates of New York is an affiliate of the National Wildlife Federation.
Phone: (518) 462-5526