DOI Secretarial Order 3289 (2010)
This U.S, Department of the Interior (DOI) order, Secretarial Order No. 3289, establishes a department-wide approach for applying scientific tools to increase the understanding of climate change and to coordinate an effective response to its impacts on tribes and on the land, water, ocean, fish and wildlife, and cultural heritage resources that the Department manages. It replaces Secretarial Order No. 3226, Amendment No. 1, issued on January 16, 2009, and reinstates the provisions of Secretarial Order No. 3226, issued on January 19, 2001.
This order renames the Climate Change Response Council within the Office of the Secretary to the Energy and Climate Change Council. The Council is responsible for executing a coordinated Department-wide strategy to address renewable energy efforts and to increase scientific understanding of and development of effective adaptive management tools to address the impacts of climate change on natural and cultural resources.
The order renames the USGS Climate Change and Wildlife regional science centers as DOI Climate Science Centers, and broadens their mandate from providing climate change impact and analysis data to fish and wildlife managers, to encompassing other climate-change-related impacts on Departmental resources.
The order reiterates the purpose and function of the Landscape Conservation Cooperatives, and makes clear that climate change planning requirements for DOI offices and bureaus remain in effect from the prior Orders 3226 and 3285.
Publication Date: February 2, 2010
- Alaska Climate Adaptation Science Center
- North Central Climate Adaptation Science Center
- South Central Climate Adaptation Science Center
- Southeast Climate Adaptation Science Center
- Southwest Climate Adaptation Science Center
- Northwest Climate Adaptation Science Center
- Department of the Interior (DOI): Northwest Interior Forest Landscape Conservation Cooperative (LCC)
- Pacific Islands Climate Adaptation Science Center
- Northeast Climate Adaptation Science Center
- Department of the Interior (DOI): South Atlantic Landscape Conservation Cooperative (LCC)
- Biodiversity and ecosystems
- Cultural resources
- Fish and fisheries
- Land management and conservation
- Water resources
- Agency guidance/policy