Living Shorelines Academy
The Living Shoreline Academy is an interactive website that provides a range of tools for property owners, contractors, and state and local governments about how to design, build, permit, and maintain living shorelines to mitigate erosion on shoreline property. "Living shorelines" use natural features combined with placement of stone or other small structures to provide shoreline protection that maintains and enhances important coastal ecosystem functions. Living shorelines are a strategy that many states and communities are considering for enhancing coastal resilience to sea-level rise and the impacts of climate change.
The Academy website includes:
- Training modules to help property owners, contractors, and regulators understand, design, construct and permit living shoreline approaches based upon different site-specific variables.
- White papers and reports on living shorelines
- Other resources on living shorelines such as videos, powerpoint presentations, and webinars
- A database and map of living shoreline projects from around the country
- A directory of professionals working on living shorelines
- An online forum for sharing lessons and ideas
The Living Shoreline Academy was developed by Restore America's Estuaries and the North Carolina Coastal Federation under a grant from the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency.
Publication Date: November 2016
- Restore America’s Estuaries
- Tool (general)