National Academy of Sciences
The National Academy of Sciences is a non-governmental, non-profit organization chartered by the US Congress in 1863 at the request of President Lincoln. The Academy has two missions: to honor the nation’s top scientists, engineers, and health professionals with membership, and to serve the nation with independent, expert advice.
The National Academy of Sciences (NAS) is an honorific society of distinguished scholars engaged in scientific and engineering research, dedicated to the furtherance of science and technology and to their use for the general welfare. The Earth and Life Sciences Division produces numerous studies relating to climate change and adaptation, including science, modeling, sea-level rise, freshwater management (water supply, water quality, stormwater management), and oceans.
The division produces 60-70 reports per year. These reports are unique, authoritative expert evaluations. Each report is produced by a committee of experts selected by the Academy to address a particular statement of task and is subject to a rigorous, independent peer review. A significant report from NAS includes "A National Strategy for Advancing Climate Modeling". This study will develop a strategy for improving the nation's capability to accurately simulate climate and related Earth system changes on decadal to centennial timescales. This high level analysis is intended to provide a strategic framework to guide progress in the nation's climate modeling enterprise over the next 10-20 years. Many other reports related to climate science and adaptation can be accessed on their website as well.
Phone: (202) 334-3600
- America's Climate Choices
- Abrupt Impacts of Climate Change: Anticipating Surprises
- Sea-Level Rise for the Coasts of California, Oregon, and Washington: Past, Present and Future
- America's Climate Choices - Adapting to the Impacts of Climate Change
- Advancing the Science of Climate Change
- Informing Decisions in a Changing Climate
- Ecological Impacts of Climate Change
- Coastal Flood Damage and Adaptation Costs Under 21st Century Sea Level Rise
- Colorado River Basin Water Management: Evaluating and Adjusting to Hydroclimatic Variability
- Disaster Resilience: A National Imperative
- Climate Change Impacts on Forestry
- Niches, models, and climate change: Assessing the assumptions and uncertainties
- Climate Change: Evidence and Causes
- Resilient America Roundtable
- America’s Climate Choices: A Conversation on America’s Climate Choices