Northern Institute of Applied Climate Science (NIACS)
The Northern Institute of Applied Climate Science (NIACS) is a collaboration between the U.S. Forest Service, universities, and forest managers to provide ecological, economic, and social information that can be used to facilitate the development and implementation of forest carbon management. Additionally, they provide climate science research to meet information needs of land owners and managers, policymakers, and the public and to help determine how the forests' ecosystem services will be effected by climate change. Their scientific focus is on climate change, carbon science and management, and bio-energy, while providing a range of tools, briefings, presentations, and fact sheets on these topics.
The NIACS believes that the uncertainty of future climatic conditions necessitates adaptive techniques and strategies that provide flexibility and enhance ecosystem resistance and resilience. To help address these needs in the Lake States and Northeast, they plan to provide several interconnected activities and products: (1) educational materials about climate change and ecosystem response; (2) a silviculture workshop designed to develop management strategies under different climate scenarios; (3) decision support tools based on recommendations from the silviculture workshop; (4) advanced training seminars on climate change science, forest ecosystem responses, and the use of the decision support tools from the workshop; (5) print and web-based media to disseminate the tools and educational materials; and (6) development of a climate change module for the USFS National Advanced Silviculture Program.
Phone: (906) 482-6303
- Central Appalachians Forest Ecosystem Vulnerability Assessment and Synthesis: A Report from the Central Appalachians Climate Change Response Framework Project
- Climate Change Adaptation Demonstration: Chequamegon-Nicolet National Forest, Twentymile Creek and Marengo River Watersheds
- New England and Northern New York Forest Ecosystem Vulnerability Assessment and Synthesis: A Report from the New England Climate Change Response Framework Project
- Adaptation Workbook: A Climate Change Tool for Forest Management and Conservation
- USFS Climate Change Response Framework
- Central Hardwoods Ecosystem Vulnerability Assessment and Synthesis: A Report from the Central Hardwoods Climate Change Response Framework Project
- U.S. Forest Service (USFS): Climate Change Resource Center