Southeast Florida Regional Climate Change Compact
The Southeast Florida Regional Climate Change Compact represents a joint commitment of Broward, Miami-Dade, Palm Beach and Monroe Counties to partner in climate mitigation and adaptation activities across county lines in the region. The Compact is a focused collaborative, providing the vision and framework for regional resilience.
The Compact calls for the Counties to work cooperatively to:
- Develop annual Legislative Programs and jointly advocate for state and federal policies and funding
- Dedicate staff time and resources to create a Southeast Florida Regional Climate Action Plan to include mitigation and adaptation strategies
- Meet annually in Regional Climate Summits to mark progress and identify emerging issues.
With the support of a variety of stakeholders, and local, regional, state, and federal agencies (NOAA, USACE, USGS, and USEPA), the Compact developed and drafted the Southeast Florida Regional Climate Action Plan. All four Compact counties formally adopted the Plan document in the spring of 2014.
This organization was featured in the January 26, 2018, ASAP Newsletter.
ASAP wrote: "The ability of the three-county area to come together for this economic opportunity builds on a foundation of regional collaboration laid by the Southeast Florida Regional Climate Change Compact. In the adaptation community, The Southeast Florida Compact is recognized for its effort to coordinate mitigation and adaptation activities across county lines. Its guiding document, the Regional Climate Action Plan, provides strategies to help communities and institutions think beyond rising sea levels to community issues related to flooding, high housing costs, and public transit."
The Compact’s Action Plan provides a regional framework for mitigation and adaptation measures to prepare for the impacts of climate change on Southeast Florida. The plan makes over 100 “actionable” recommendations in seven goal areas, to be accomplished over the next five years. The categories include: Sustainable Communities and Transportation Planning; Water Supply, Management, and Infrastructure; Risk Reduction and Emergency Management; Energy and Fuel; Natural Systems; Agriculture; and Outreach and Public Policy.
- Regional Impacts of Climate Change and Issues for Stormwater Management
- Case Study on The Southeast Florida Regional Climate Change Compact
- Southeast Florida Regional Climate Action Plan
- Southeast Florida Regional Compact: Climate Action Plan - 2014 Municipal Implementation Survey
- A Unified Sea Level Rise Projection for Southeast Florida