Union of Concerned Scientists (UCS)
The Union of Concerned Scientists (UCS) is a nonprofit partnership of scientists and citizens combining rigorous scientific analysis, innovative policy development, and effective citizen advocacy to achieve practical environmental solutions.
Global warming is a primary focus for the Union. For more than 20 years, UCS has worked with leading experts to educate U.S. decision makers and the public about global warming, and to implement practical solutions at international, national, regional, and state levels.
For over a decade, UCS has been a lead group in advocating for an aggressive California renewable energy standard. By providing technical expertise on the state’s complex electricity sector, building and coordinating support from a broad range of stakeholders, meeting regularly with leading elected officials, engaging the media to report on the issue, and activating their own members to express their will, UCS was successful in matching their technical analysis and citizen activism with policy success. With the help and leadership of UCS, California’s Renewables Portfolio Standard (RPS) was signed into law in April 2011.
More of the Union's efforts to address climate change are detailed on the organization's website. The site also provides limitless information on global warming basics, science, impacts, regional analysis, as well solutions for the "big picture" and by sector - inclusive of related reports and initiatives by the UCS for each topic.
Phone: (617) 547-5552
- Climate Change in Pennsylvania: Impacts and Solutions for the Keystone State
- Confronting Climate Change in the Great Lakes Region: Impacts on Our Communities and Ecosystems
- Overwhelming Risk: Rethinking Flood Insurance in a World of Rising Seas
- Rocky Mountain Forests at Risk: Confronting Climate-driven Impacts from Insects, Wildfires, Heat and Drought
- Surviving and Thriving in the Face of Rising Seas: Building Resilience for Communities on the Front Lines of Climate Change
- U.S. Military on the Front Lines of Rising Seas
- Confronting Climate Change in the U.S. Northeast: Science, Impacts, and Solutions
- Encroaching Tides: How Sea Level Rise and Tidal Flooding Threaten U.S. East and Gulf Coast Communities over the Next 30 Years
- Toward Climate Resilience: A Framework and Principles for Science-Based Adaptation
- Confronting Climate Change in the Gulf Coast Region: Prospects for Sustaining Our Ecological Heritage
- When Rising Seas Hit Home
- Underwater: Rising Seas, Chronic Floods, and the Implications for US Coastal Real Estate