California Disadvantaged Communities Mapping Tool
The California Department of Water Resources (DWR) has developed a web-based application to assist in evaluating disadvantaged community status throughout the State. This publicly available mapping tool shows disadvantaged communities of California, in funding areas as recognized pursuant to California Proposition 1 and Proposition 84.
Find where disadvantaged communities in California live, as defined by median income, in each Prop. 1 Funding Area.
The following layers are available for mapping:
- County Boundaries
- Prop 1 Funding Areas
- Prop 84 Funding Areas
- Integrated Regional Water Management (IRWM) Regions
- Disadvantaged Communities Block Groups
- Disadvantaged Communities Tracts
- Disadvantaged Communities Places
- County Boundaries
Disadvantaged Communities Block Groups, Tracts and Places depict data from the US Census ACS 2010-2014 showing census block groups identified as as disadvantaged communities (less than 80% of the State's median household income) or severely disadvantaged communities (less than 60% of the State's median household income).
California Proposition 1, the “Water Quality, Supply, and Infrastructure Improvement Act of 2014,” authorized $510 million in IRWM funding. The Proposition 1 IRWM Grant Program, administered by Department of Water Resources (DWR), provides funding for projects that help meet the long term water needs of the state, including:
- Assisting water infrastructure systems adapt to climate change;
- Providing incentives throughout each watershed to collaborate in managing the region's water resources and setting regional priorities for water infrastructure; and
- Improving regional water self-reliance, while reducing reliance on Sacramento-San Joaquin Delta.
The California Proposition 84 - Integrated Regional Water Management (IRWM) Grant Program, administered by DWR, provides funding for projects that help local public agencies meet the long term water needs of the state, including the delivery of safe drinking water and the protection of water quality and the environment.
Publication Date: June 2016
- Mapping tool