CalBRACE Adaptation Toolkit
The CalBRACE Adaptation Toolkit was developed by the California Department of Public Health Office of Health Equity as part of the California Building Resilience for Climate Effects (CalBRACE) project. This database is a collection of tools, reports, guides, and data to help local health departments assess, plan, and monitor in their efforts to reduce and prevent the health risks of climate change. This toolkit is designed for California, but can serve as a useful guide to health departments elsewhere.
The toolkit offers guidance and links to resources organized by various stages of developing, implementing, and monitoring a climate and health adaptation plan:
- Before You Start: Includes pre-planning guidance and a process checklist.
- Impacts and Vulnerabilities: Offers guidance on the process of assessing impacts and vulnerabilities as well as related resources including reports with health statistics by California county; examples of local vulnerability assessments; health equity, environmental justice, and tribal resources; and state and federal level guidance resources.
- Project Disease Burden: Provides links to various guidance documents related to disease burdens and health indicators as well as literature on various forms of climate exposure (heat, air pollution, wildfire, drought, flooding, and sea level rise).
- Assess Interventions: Offers resources to help assess the effectiveness of health interventions, such as vulnerability assessments and existing adaptation and implementation strategies.
- Adaptation Plan and Action: Sample adaptation plans from California, Oregon, and Montana are provided to help users begin to outline their unique plan. Additional resources related to adaptation planning with special consideration for environmental justice and tribal communities are also provided.
- Evaluate and Monitor: Resources for evaluating and monitoring indicators for climate-related health as well as public health programs and policies for addressing climate-related health are provided.
- Resources: Additional climate- and health-related resources are identified such as adaptation clearinghouses (including this one), reports and data, academic papers, case studies, tools, and other toolkits, among others.
The toolkit aligns with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s (CDC) Building Resilience Against Climate Effects (BRACE) which provides specific guidance to states and cities on developing strategies and programs aimed at reducing the health consequences of climate change.
- California Department of Public Health
- Planning guides
- Tool (general)