New York State Energy Research and Development Authority (NYSERDA)
The New York State Energy Research and Development Authority (NYSERDA) is a public benefit corporation created in 1975 under Article 8, Title 9 of the State Public Authorities Law through the reconstitution of the New York State Atomic and Space Development Authority. NYSERDA’s earliest efforts focused solely on research and development with the goal of reducing the State’s petroleum consumption. Today, NYSERDA’s aim is to help New York meet its energy goals: reducing energy consumption, promoting the use of renewable energy sources, and protecting the environment.
In 2006, NYSERDA initiated its climate change research program under their Environmental Monitoring, Evaluation and Protection (EMEP) program. Joint research planning with the New York Academy of Sciences and numerous stakeholders identified near-term and long-term research goals for New York in the area of climate change. These include evaluating the potential of energy efficiency and renewable energy to reduce greenhouse gas emissions in New York State; conducting climate change policy research and analysis; assessing climate change impacts and adaptation strategies in New York State; and determining the feasibility of geological carbon storage within the state.
NYSERDA's EMEP program has funded projects in the climate change program including an 'Integrated Assessment for Effective Climate Change Adaptation Strategies in New York State'. Working interactively with stakeholders, the assessment will identify critical vulnerabilities, climate risks, and adaptation strategies specific to New York, for a range of key sectors including agriculture, coastal zones, ecosystems, energy, infrastructure, public health, and water resources.
Phone: (518) 862-1090
- State of New York
- New York State Climate Action Plan Interim Report
- Integrated Assessment for Effective Climate Change Strategies in New York State
- Responding to Climate Change in New York State: ClimAID Integrated Assessment for Effective Climate Change Adaptation - Synthesis Report
- Responding to Climate Change in New York State: ClimAID – Transportation Chapter
- New York Climate Change Science Clearinghouse: Tools to Help Communities Prepare for Extreme Weather
- Cleaner, Greener Communities Program Sustainability Indicator Guidance Document
- New York State Prize - Community Microgrid Competition (NY Prize)
- Climate Change Resilience Strategies for Buildings in New York State
- NYSERDA Climate Change Adaptation Research Plan