100 Resilient Cities
100 Resilient Cities (100RC), pioneered by The Rockefeller Foundation, was a non-profit organization dedicated to helping cities around the world become more resilient to the physical, social, and economic challenges that are a growing part of the 21st century. 100RC supported the adoption and incorporation of a view of resilience that includes not just the shocks - earthquakes, fires, floods, etc. - but also the stresses that weaken the fabric of a city on a day to day or cyclical basis - high unemployment, endemic violence, chronic food and water shortages, etc.
Cities in the 100RC network were provided with the resources necessary to develop a roadmap to resilience along four main pathways:
- Financial and logistical guidance for establishing an innovative new position in city government, a Chief Resilience Officer, who will lead the city’s resilience efforts;
- Expert support for development of a robust resilience strategy;
- Access to solutions, service providers, and partners from the private, public, and NGO sectors who can help them develop and implement their resilience strategies; and
- Membership in a global network of member cities who can learn from and help each other.
Through these actions, 100RC aimed not only to help individual cities become more resilient, but also to facilitate the building of a global practice of resilience among governments, NGOs, the private sector, and individual citizens. 100RC initiated its work in 2013 with a group of 32 cities, and additional cohorts of cities were announced over the years. The program concluded on July 31, 2019, though the Rockefeller Foundation continued to support 100RC network cities and Chief Resilience Officers with an additional $8 million commitment.
Phone: (646) 612-7203
- Emergency preparedness
- Information technology
- Land use and built environment
- Public health
- Frontline Communities
- Water resources
- City of Boulder, Colorado Resilience Strategy
- City of Berkeley, California Resilience Strategy
- Resilient San Francisco - Stronger Today. Stronger Tomorrow.
- Resilient New Orleans: Strategic Action to Shape Our Future City
- Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania Resilience Strategy
- 100RC - Strengthening the National Flood Insurance Program
- One New York: The Plan for a Strong and Just City (One NYC)
- Resilient Oakland - It Takes a Town to Thrive
- Norfolk, Virginia Resilience Strategy
- Resilient Houston - City of Houston, Texas Resilience Strategy
- Resilient Boston: An Equitable and Connected City
- Resilient Los Angeles - 100RC Resilience Strategy for Los Angeles, California
- ReImagina Puerto Rico
- Safer and Stronger Cities: Strategies for Advocating for Federal Resilience Policy
- 100 Resilient Cities - Resilience in Action