NOAA Office for Coastal Management
The Office for Coastal Management (OCM) is tasked with implementing the Coastal Zone Management Act. OCM activities include working with states and territories to conserve and protect coral reefs, operating a system of National Estuarine Research Reserves, and developing a system of marine protected areas.
Four major programs make up the Office for Coastal Management:
- The National Estuarine Research Reserve System (NERRS) was established for long-term monitoring, research, education and stewardship, which makes the 28 reserves well suited for contributing to the scientific understanding of climate change and promoting climate change outreach and adaptation.
- The National Coastal Zone Management Program works with coastal and Great Lakes states and territories to address coastal challenges and regulations. This program addresses a wide range of issues including water quality, public access, habitat protection, energy facility siting, coastal hazards, and climate change.
- The NOAA Coral Reef Conservation Program conducts monitoring and research to help understand and predict the impacts of climate change on coral ecosystems.
- Digital Coast - this website provides coastal management data, tool, and training. It addess land use, coastal conservation, hazards, marine spatial planning, and climate change.
Phone: (301) 713-3155
- Local Strategies for Addressing Climate Change, Vol. 2
- Coastal Inundation Toolkit
- Marshes on the Move: A Manager’s Guide to Understanding and Using Model Results Depicting Potential Impacts of Sea Level Rise on Coastal Wetlands
- Coastal Inundation Mapping (training)
- Achieving Hazard-Resilient Coastal and Waterfront Smart Growth
- Virginia Coastal Needs Assessment and Strategies: FY 2011-2015
- Coastal Zone Management Administration Awards
- Adapting to Climate Change: A Planning Guide for State Coastal Managers
- Our Coast, Our Future
- Digital Coast
- Coastal No Adverse Impact Handbook
- Virginia's Coastal Zone Management Program
- Managed Retreat Strategies
- San Francisquito Creek Sea Level Rise Case Study
- Delaware County, Pennsylvania Roadmap for Adapting to Coastal Risk – Transportation Sector
- Coastal Zone Management Estuarine Research Reserves Project Grants
- Adapting to Climate Change: A Planning Guide for State Coastal Managers - A Great Lakes Supplement
- Protecting the Public Interest through the National Coastal Zone Management Program: How Coastal States and Territories Use No-Build Areas along Ocean and Great Lake Shorefronts
- Sea Level Rise and Coastal Flood Web Tools Comparison Matrix
- NOAA Guide for Considering Climate Change in Coastal Conservation
- NOAA Sea Level Rise Viewer
- NOAA Coastal Community Planning and Development (Training)
- NOAA Guide to Assessing Green Infrastructure Costs and Benefits for Flood Reduction
- Planning and Facilitating Collaborative Meetings (NOAA Training)
- NOAA Coastal County Snapshots